Friday, February 10, 2017

Cellphones in the Classroom? Should we change our children

Technology in the Classroom- Cell Phones, Should they be Allowed?





This week in my blog I want to discuss technology in the classroom most notable the use of cell phones. I actually just returned from a visit at Mason City Newman Catholic, where I coach and drive bus and in the future hopefully take my teaching experiences on. In the classroom of Miss Nicholas an English teacher. Their Friday start off with lip-sync challenges and I just happened to stop in the room a couple weeks ago to catch a couple performances. Well today, I was the star of the show....Well maybe not the star but I was challenged by Miss Nicholas.

Just how does technology come into play? With technology in the classroom, she had the music cued up on the computer using the internet and of course what person wouldn't have their phones out snap-chatting a short clip or recording the whole performance.  Although the use of cell phones are usually not permitted there are certain times in which it can be appropriate.  Today's lip-sync challenge was one of them. Before the other teacher and myself performed there were two students who went first. The students mother had been practicing at home and had emailed Nichols about recording it so she could see her son do his lip-sync. So Miss Nichols recorded the performance with the use of her cell phone for his mother.

Other Schools Allow Cell Phone Usage

A research done by the Pew Research Center had this to say in an article written by John Higgins, "Although schools have traditionally banned or limited cell phones in the classroom, 73% of Advanced Placement and National Writing Project teachers said their students use phones in the classroom or to complete assignments." (John Higgins. USA Today. Aug. 2013) Is this right that we are allowing this in the classroom? 

My Thoughts






I feel it is absolutely alright that we have the use of cell phones in the classroom! They are smart phones for a reason. To help make our lives easier, communication lines more open and to have information at our finger tips. Cell phones usage became more relaxed after the 9/11 terrorism. Why? Because there became the issues of security and red alerts such as school shootings. Many school systems are lifting bands on cell phones and implementing them into their curriculum's. 

Just how are phones being used? Can you imagine being able to pop your ear buds in and listen to music? Well I remember back in my day I had a teacher play music when we were working on individual work, so how is this any worse. To be honest many teachers are bucking the trend and studies. Peter Bergman wrote in the Harvard Business Review blog, " That multitasking can reduce productivity by as much as 40%, increase stress and cause a 10 point fall in IQ." (Robert Earl. May 2012.) Let me say although those are numbers, I disagree. I was student observing this week and saw a kid working on an accounting assignment and had his ear buds in playing music and working on his assignment. Although I did see some distraction of typing in a song to play. I saw this student working diligently on his assignment. 

."Teachers are starting to take advantage of the opportunities of cellphones in the classroom," said George Fornero, superintendent of Township High School District 113, located outside Chicago, whose school system has begun allowing its students use cellphones." (Higgins) 

A parent gave her thoughts on this topic and really I find it hard to argue, ""As a parent, I can see parents pushing for it when you think of the shootings that happen," she said. "However, with youth, (having a phone) is a very natural part of their ecosystem. It doesn't make sense to close that opportunity for them when they go to school."(Higgins)

She said parents and teachers are realizing educational value of mobile phones, as new features have made these devices relevant to education. "Most people are now coming to school with a computer in their pocket," Domenech said.(Higgins) Why would we want to change our kids to be who they aren't, by taking away the technology given to them by us. 

Arguments

Don't get me wrong I understand there does need to be a place and a time that the students need to respect the rules of no cell phone usage and that they need to be put away.  Hmmmm, lets think why they are bad. They are distractions to us. How often do you feel you need to look at your phone. I know I can be bad and look at my often. This video found on YouTube......I could see this happening. I know I have done some of the same, looking at my phone when I shouldn't be. 




I am not sure there really can be a right way or a wrong way. The overall answer is that we need a balance of usage and no usage of cell phones within our school environment. I know I see many of the teachers on theirs and even a principal walking around with his laptop in his hands. There is no difference. Technology is with us today and as the one parent said, "Why change the ecosystem of what our children live today."

References

Higgins, J. (2013, August 07). More schools use cellphones as learning tools. Retrieved February 10, 2017, from http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2013/08/07/views-shift-on-cell-phones-in-schools/2607381/


 P. (Ed.). (2014, May 15). No Cell Phones in Class. Retrieved February 10, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJjRNMWuKy8


Earl, R. (2012, May 18). Do Cell Phones Belong in the Classroom? Retrieved February 10, 2017, from https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/05/do-cell-phones-belong-in-the-classroom/257325/













No comments:

Post a Comment